Bryson and the Masters

I completely agree. I love that he’s chasing speed and distance and forcing others to do it. I also loved DJ’s response to a reporter asking if he’s going to try to bulk up and swing harder - “I feel pretty comfortable with my game. I’m perfectly fine dinking a fade out there 325.”

I have a tendency to respect the “natural” speed and distance from guys like DJ and Cam Champ over the mechanical robotics of Bryson. I think when it’s natural, it’s easier to straighten out on the fly if things are a little haywire. I think this is what Bryson is going to be. Sometimes on and brilliant. Sometimes way way out of whack. And he isn’t a fix it in the middle of the round kind of guy.

Sometimes brilliant will win a lot of tournaments, though.

3 Likes

I read Langer was the oldest yet to make the Masters cut, was the shortest hitter and was paired with DeChambeau, and finished a shot ahead of him. Impressive for age 63! The downside of hitting long is a tiny change of angle of the club translates to many more yards sideways!

2 Likes

Sooooo is Bryson an overwhelming favorite in April?

1 Like

I’m still hedging against him!

I think overwhelming favorite in golf means he has a 6% chance of winning vs 4 or 5.

1 Like

What the Masters reinforced for me are the following random thoughts:

1. Hitting Bombs if they hit the short stuff is great but if you are as a result of said bomb hitting out from behind and between trees not so great (most of us amateurs would be ducking as the ball came straight back at us… very few courses are cleaned out like Augusta et al.
  2. Once the marvelling of the drive has occurred it’s over with. The importance of accuracy of the second and third shots are critical.
  3. Hitting the middle of the green is never going to get you in trouble. Again, as amateurs, pin hunting and taking risks over water/sand for the perfect landing Usually ends up more often than not as an added stroke (or two)
  4. Two putts seldom gets you in trouble…
1 Like

Now if I can only remember all this tomorrow …

1 Like

I am wondering if the Masters is suited to Bryson’s game in that shorter hitters can and have won aka Zach Johnson. Where as the US Open is a last man standing event and as being a longer hitter he can hack wedges out of the rough where shorter hitters need to hit longer clubs.

Augusta, when playing fast and firm will always allow players with accurate 2nd shots and short games to be in the mix. It was originally designed as a second shot golf course (has changed throughout the years).

No golf course is immune to one of the top players in the world having a ball striking week like DJ in soft conditions.

The short hitters will always need an incredible approach, scrambling and putting week to win, but it’s still a possibility imo

1 Like

It seems as though not only Augusta but most tournaments come down to a putting contest at their level. Obviously they have to have great ball striking to make it happen, and everyone in the PGA tour strikes the ball pretty damn well, but each week there is a set of guys that are hitting the ball well and then it comes down to how many putts they can sink. DJ had the eye for the greens this week too. The 8 footers with a foot worth of break were quite awesome to watch drop.

1 Like

Golf is hard…

1 Like