Breaking 40 vs. Breaking 80

Agree - I just said Lou since he posts more charts with the stats.

2 Likes

100% they’re both great resources.

This is a really interesting discussion for me. I find many similarities in my own game. I regularly shoot 40-43 when playing 9 holes (that is what I usually play due to work schedule)…but find it more difficult to break 90 when I play 18.
I’ve also found that I score much better when playing alone.
I also lost my golf buddy last year…he used to keep my score for me - so I had no idea at times where I was in relation to par (or bogey) on any given hole. I always shot my best scores with him (perhaps he was generous with the scores???)…
Anyway, the mental game is rough!

2 Likes

I think there is something to be said about the mental game but I also think you need to consider that the more holes you play the more your score stabilizes…

My current goal on the mental side is basically making the smartest shot I can from the position I’m in… it doesn’t matter how I got where I am, good or bad. Take the “best” shot that will give me the best average score.

My overall goal is to avoid compounding mistakes by playing aggressively from a point of weakness… and playing aggressively from points of strength.

For me it’s also focusing on leaving a gimme from outside 10 feet vs trying to make it.

4 Likes

I also like the “match against par” mindset. If in position, get on the green and hopefully a putt rolls in. If it ends up being a tap in par, great next hole.

Hit a tee shot in the woods? Start thinking “just get in a position to have a chance at par”… it may be 10 - 20 ft but just give yourself that chance… ends up tap in bogey? No biggie move on to the next hole

3 Likes

Agreed… I think the goal at the start of most holes should be a stress free par. Fairway, middle of the green, two putt.

Birdies will fall into line on their own doing that.

When you miss the fairway or green, adjust the strategy to get back into play… I have a bad habit of trying hero shots. They are fun. They are bad for my score.