BBQ: An off golf thread

All you with pellet grills are cheating! Get you a barrel smoker

This forum won’t let me post under 20 characters.

No.

I’d love a big offset, but I have a two year old son and a 120 lb one year old Great Pyrenees who can’t keep his nose out of anything. I don’t have a safe space to keep them from it nor do I have the time to maintain a fire.

Trust me, I wish I did.

1 Like

Fair! I’d use a Traeger so I can play golf in the morning while everything is cooking, but otherwise I just use mine during football season - put something on at 530, crash for a little while, then spend the day outside watching gameday and all games until food is ready for dinner.

Green Mountain is an excellent pellet grill. I had one for years until it was destroyed in the Derecho storm that hit our area last summer. I haven’t purchased another yet.

Btw - I did this yesterday on my Weber Gas Grill with an Amaz’n Smoker Tube.

3 Likes

Eventually I’ll get a stick burner, but I want to master the seasoning and cooking aspect of bbq before I worry about fire control.

I also don’t have the time to maintain a fire all day right now… my traeger also functions as a charcoal grill replacement with the ease of using a propane grill for start up and clean up.

If I can make bbq that is better than what I can get locally on my pellet grill, I’ll be happy.

Why would you want the hassle of a stick burner? The pellet guys are winning a lot of the competitions these days. Technology advances, embrace it.

Stick burner = Hickories :wink:

2 Likes

I have a Weber Kettle and it does the job, but it’s a lot of work. Pellet grills are pretty great, but it was between that and a Blackstone for me, and I went with the Blackstone since I can cook pretty much anything else on it… If I really want to smoke something, I’ll just use my electric smoker and then let it finish in the oven.

2 Likes

Almost forgot:

Smoked paella anyone?

1 Like

Haha… I would love to have a good enough swing to hit hickory clubs!

Just bought 4 bags of lumberjack pellets at rural king.

1 Like

Yes!! I did a smoked shrimp boil for my in-laws a couple weeks ago. So so good.

2 Likes

How do you wet smoke?

I worked a summer for a local from South Carolina who went by Chicken George. I was the only white guy in his restaurant for those 2 months. I embedded in my memory banks his recipes for spice rub, bbq sauce using different sodas as the base and white and Carolina bbq sauce, Mac and cheese, cornbread, collards etc. We had 3 7ft barrel smokers and I learned to tend them overnite to make everything. I asked him one day suppose you don’t have 20+ hours and he gave me a different option that takes about 8 hours and I’m telling u that u cannot tell the difference on ribs, brisket, pork shoulder etc. It’s still a process. I’ll send you a copy of the recipe and process. I think I have your email. George passed away 38 years ago, he was a real pit master. I think he was like 74 when I worked for him. I just wanted to learn.

3 Likes

RIB RUB
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar (hit for 5 seconds in spice grinder)
2 Tbsp Ground Ginger
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Ancho Chili Powder or Cayenne Pepper (optional)
**2 Tbsp Mustard Seed
**2 Tbsp Black Peppercorns
**1 Tbsp Coriander Seed
** 2 Tbsp Granulated Garlic
In a heated cast iron pan over a medium flame, toast the ** ingredients for 3-4 minutes moving the ingredients around to release the oils in these spices. When finished, put in a spice grinder and hit for 8-10 seconds.
Combine all the spices in a bowl. Use what you need. This recipe ratio is tried and true, so double it, triple it or cut in half…I double mine and save for up to 3 months in a large airtight container.
LIQUID SMOKER FOR OVEN
1 Large Roasting Pan at least 4 inches high/deep.
1 Rack to place ribs or beef on to elevate at least 1 inch from bottom of pan
Enough foil to seal the top on the roasting pan completely, no leaks
1 Bottle of Liquid Smoke at least 5oz.
Enough water to cover the roasting pan bottom along with the liquid smoke but not go over the rack on the bottom.

HOW TO SEASON & SMOKE ST LOUIS or BACK RIBS

1. You can skin the ribs or leave skin on your Choice
  2. Dry the ribs completely, if they wont fit in your pan, you can cut in half.
  3. Take a cooking fork with sharp tines and stab the rack several times.
  4. In a shallow pan (so not to make a mess) spoon your RIB RUB on your ribs and rub it in on both sides.
  5. When finished this process, Place ribs onto the rack in your Liquid Smoker, DO NOT allow the ribs to overlap or be on top of one another.
  6. When your Ribs are rubbed and in the pan, cover tightly with your aluminum foil and let sit for 10 minutes.
  7. Pre-heat your oven to 220*F,
  8. Put the pan on the middle rack in your oven and shut the door. Set the timer for 6.5 hours.
    DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN OR EVEN THINK ABOUT LOOKING IN THAT SMOKER PAN.
  9. Get a sheet pan and cover with aluminum foil
  10. When 6.5 hours are up, take the pan out of the oven and turn up the heat to 250*F.
  11. Take the ribs out of the Liquid Smoker (I use the fork) try not to disturb your spices on the ribs as they will be wet and place onto the sheetpan. Again, DO NOT overlap or put on top of one another
  12. Put the pan with the ribs into the oven for another hour on the higher heat. Do Not Cover.
    DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN & DISTURB THIS PROCESS
  13. When the hour is up you should have perfect, smoked, dry rub ribs to sauce or eat anyway you want.strong text
5 Likes

Today is an intermittent fasting day and I was fine until I looked in this thread. Not sure I can make it to noon now.

4 Likes

Because the pan never really gets to boiling and it’s just a slow evaporation of liquid (In order to steam you gotta stay over 212F for an extended period) The liquid never really gets over 195F. It’s not a braise or steam, It’s just a very slow infusion of flavor, the constant heat & humidity created in that sealed pan really does a number on the meat. The final hour on just dry heat (still slow) seals the bark…and depending on your oven, because mine is convection…you could turn that final dry heat process up 30* to 280*F…Forgot to say that…

I just keep telling myself that any heaven like that is still 6-8 hours away. I can make it until noon…

2 Likes

yea but 1/3 the time of a traditional smoker, so i do mine overnite, wake up, flip into the dry portion of the procedure and…yea i’m good to go. I have only given this recipe out to friends and it blows them outta their minds. It’s like a titch under the quality you would find doing a traditional barrel smoke…It saves time and tending the fire. If anyone wants the secret to brisket, one that is really, really close to a Franklin Brisket ask and I’ll share that too. There’s only 4 ingredients to a Franklin Brisket and one of them is Beef…LOL! I like to eat good, I don’t do much in life, if I could play golf as well as I cook, I’d be freaking Arnold Palmer. Part of that $100K education my parents spent on

1 Like

Yeah hit me with the brisket process. Mine is only decent and I’ve watched Aaron Franklin’s MasterClass 100x.

You trim and salt and pepper the beef. You hit the smoker for about 10 hours. You get butcher paper to completely wrap the brisket in…take the brisket off the smoker…but when you lay out the butcher paper before you wrap it and throw back into the smoker for another 10 hours, douse the paper with Liquified Beef Tallow. The brisket should not ever get over a temp of 215-220F. Then, when that is done, you have to take it out of that paper and re-wrap in butcher paper to rest, Douse that paper in more Liquified Beef Tallow.I have a warmer that will hold a whole brisket at 140F, I usually let my Brisket rest in there for another 6-7 hours before I cut into it. You will be amazed at the difference in your product… Yea they never tell u about the tallow…that’s the secret…Chicken George used 3/4 tallow and 1/4 rendered smoked bacon fat squeeze bottle…Oh Baby! Something else!

1 Like