Average Driver Distance for Amateur Golfers

Growing up and playing infrequently I always hit giant slices. Still have that mental haunting. I’m working on it with a coach now and it’s getting better. He identified my two big problems as hitting down on ball (which is fine with every other club) and also not staying behind the ball. Hope to be gaming the driver regularly by spring.

1 Like

Oh yeah, for me there definitely is… Still grip the driver too tightly and still try too hard to swing it. I take it to the range from time to time but otherwise it’s on the bench in the garage…

So I tee off with my 4W and have been making steady progress with that this season! So… maybe… next Spring…?

2 Likes

At some point, you just have to take the plunge… if you can hit it on the range but not on the course, it’s not a practice issue!

Honestly, I started just forcing myself to hit driver and live with the consequences… it made me a better driver fairly quickly.

2 Likes

As of last time, not well / confidently enough to take it out to the course…

But thanks for the encouragement!

Recently I played with a guy who nailed his 3w every hole on the front nine and scored really well. Come the 10th he pulled out driver and his game fell apart. Started spraying it everywhere. After the round I asked him why he didn’t stick with the 3w and he said he was asking himself the same question.

2 Likes

I just read the article and I agree with the article. My average with my Rapsodo is 241 yds with my Shotscope my average is 213 yds. I played Tuesday and my drives were 255 yds and 235 yds (…and 175 yds); I’m average and happy for now.

2 Likes

Same here. My distances are way below the averages. Not sure if it’s just the grim reality of my game or if I can increase my distances through practice and lessons.

2 Likes

I think you can always improve distance… and it will always be beneficial to your golf game.

Quickest way to increase distance is to look at your launch parameters and make sure they are optimized… This assumes you have access to a launch monitor, and also probably requires changing your Angle of Attack so that it’s positive. Hitting up on the ball will add distance in most cases.

“Unlocking your governor” is another route, speed sticks sell well because they work. If you stick to the program you can gain speed. I don’t own them, but would probably benefit from a set, but I already swing fast.

Off course lifting is probably the best bet for return on investment… Lifting weights is good for your health all around, and a golf specific program can add speed pretty quickly… Fit for Golf is the system I use when I’m not injured. @Fit_For_Golf Mike is a good dude, and will help you achieve your goals…

Combine all three, launch, speed training and weight training… and you are guaranteed to pick up a decent amount of distance over the winter. You just have to commit to doing it!

1 Like

Finally got on a tracking monitor at the local Dicks. I wanted to get some club head speed baselines as I start the @Fit_For_Golf program this offseason. Also, confirmed that I just flat out don’t know how to swing a driver lol. My stats were below:
7 iron (avg over 10 shots)
chs 91.4/ carry 180/ total 195
5 wood avg
chs 103.6/ carry 223/ total 241
Driver avg
chs 100/ carry 224/ total 247
The 5w and my 3w are what I game off the tee for now. Along with a crummy swing, my driver is not accurate either. I’m working with a coach (2 months now) so 2021 will be a year of progress.

4 Likes

You’ve definitely got some distance left in the tank there… just keep grinding and you will get longer.

That’s a long 7 iron! You should be swinging driver much faster, and will get there if you keep working on it.

1 Like

Lots of great stuff in there … just one thing to add…

Finding the center of the clubface may be the biggest contributor.

I haven’t but some people practice with a can of foot spray powder so the ball mark shows you exactly where impact was.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a solid point. Getting your smash factor above 1.4 is important!

2 Likes

I have a question, I’m 62, I am playing an sldr driver 9.75 is the loft I set it at. I recently purchased the PRGR and began screwing around with it, I have been slowly but surely adjusting my swing by practicing positions to gain distance. 6 weeks ago I was SS: 75-78mph, BS: 120-123mph, SF: 1.32-1,35, D: 190yd. In 6 weeks, I have improved consistently to SS: 94-96mph, BS:134-138mph, SF: 1.43, D: 240-248yd. I am going to continue working as my seasonal goal this year will be 100mphSS and SF: 1.48, D of 250yd. I am hoping to get there. My question: is that improvement decent for a senior golfer and does that sound like a reasonable goal for a senior amateur golfer. In my 20’s and 30’s with the old Taylor Burner I could hit that 250=260 no problem with SS of 108. Amazing what age does to you and then falling into poor habits.

4 Likes

That is very good progression. Nice work!

1 Like

is that decent for an older player today and do you think thats a reasonable goal?

1 Like

Depending on your physical condition, 62 isn’t that old. If you’re at 94-96 now and in good shape I think 100 mph is achievable. A 1.48 smash factor will be challenging. I think the average on tour is 1.47ish.

Thanks my first posts on here and I think I put this in the wrong area. At the range today alot of the guys were really liking that PRGR…anyway one of the youth was smashing it. literally so I know its fairly accurate but he was like 126SS, 155BS SF of 1.53 and D 316… I’m like what the hell am I doing wrong…LOL

2 Likes

This is as good of a place as any… welcome to the forum…

You’re doing awesome, and gaining speed is always good… you won’t know your cap until you hit it.

If you are interested in more golf fitness, mike carrol at fit for golf is a great resource… he’s worked with senior golfers and has a proven track record. He’s also just a genuinely nice guy.

Swing speed is great, and distance is proven to help lower scores, but there is a reason the long drive guys aren’t making millions on the pga tour… that’s not to say you shouldn’t chase distance! It’s just not the only thing that matters on the course…

I’m a pretty big hitter, and get beaten regularly by guys 50 yards behind me!

3 Likes

that’s incredible progress! Keep it going!!! Age is just a number, keep working at it and I’m sure you can get it even higher.

3 Likes

I’m in your general age group, at 65 years old, and play to about a 5 handicap The last time I did a driver fitting I was in the 98-99-100 mph range. If I can get to that speed, you can too. Aside from exercises specifically aimed at swing speed, simply improving mechanics will help you get there. You talk about “practicing positions” but don’t mention instruction. I’m a believer that good instruction can be extremely valuable, and can help you improve both swing speed (distance) as well as consistency. And moving forward, knowing we’re going to inevitably lose some strength and flexibility as we age, good swing mechanics will be the best tool maintaining our scoring ability.

5 Likes