Alternate to Fairways Hit and GIR

‘Be a Player’ by Pia Nilsson advises to rate all your shots in one of 4 categories ~ not good, good enough, good and very good . . . . note that there is NO bad!
Good enough shots are just that, good enough, and I hit a lot of those. The thing is, I would have called them ‘bad’ before and got down on myself, now I’m a lot more forgiving of myself, and thus a happier golfer.

2 Likes

I’ll suggest the term “playable” tee shot.

Noting the earlier comments, re: shots from the rough and effect on spin, etc. – my view is you have the opportunity to advance the ball towards the green on your next shot … vs … having to punch-out or take a penalty (ie. both those are a loss of a stroke).

1 Like

I was just searching around for a strokes gained app. GolfMetrics seems logical and is cheaper than the full Decade. Does anyone here know anything about it? Can I enter data during the round and/or after the round? Does it do Strokes Gained against any level of golfer I choose (pro, scratch, etc)?

I haven’t done much digging into it (and haven’t used the free trial yet) but think it’s mainly for recording after the round. Don’t believe there is any GPS functionality so simply a data repository to calculate stats. You could probably enter as you go during the round but likely would be quicker to enter all at once based on memory or notes on scorecard after the round.

Would be interested in comparing it to Decade when I eventually switch. I like Decade’s method for entering the rounds with GPS so really all you need to know is your approach shot distances. When you get around the green you can easily put where your ball was on their interface rather than having to pace off/laser chip shots. All that said, if there’s not a need for the Decade lessons, it’s not worth the incremental cost.

1 Like