Advice for Competitive Golf

I think there are multiple levels of competitive golf. At the club level, I view those events as just fun so I really don’t get too hyped up. My advice would be to view it as a way to meet people at your club and develop friendships. Those that take it too seriously (I’ve had them as partners) really sour the experience IMO.

I think I’ve logged several hundred stroke play competitive rounds at this point, and they are definitely very different. That kind of golf can go either way for players. It can ruin your enjoyment of the game because when things go wrong, you feel like you’re on an island - no one can save you and you’re not gonna take an X on a hole.

However, if you have the right attitude, tournament play can be another exciting level of competition. I just don’t recommend it for most players because I don’t want to see their enjoyment of the game ruined. I view club competitions as a happy medium because it’s about community and friendship. And maybe you get some bragging rights if you play well!

6 Likes

My take is different from Jon’s. Club level tournament play is the ultimate competitive golf for most golfers. Only a small percentage will ever be able to compete in regional or National events and certainly not at the professional level. So I say to use your club tournaments to get the same thrill that Tiger gets when playing the Masters. Prepare for the big tournaments the same way and try to have your game peak at the right time for the big events. This is when is Joe Averages get to feel what it’s like to have a 6 foot putt to win the US Open. Don’t treat it as casual and miss out on that thrill.

3 Likes

Just from reading your other posts especially your posts on the mental game I think that you will do fine out there against your competitors. My advice is to just play your game, stay inside your own head and enjoy your round of golf. You may feel a little added pressure to perform especially if you are paired with someone who is playing better than you, is hitting more fairways and greens than you are, or someone who hits the ball a mile past you on driver holes. If you let the other people in the tournament get in your head it can lead to problems like over swinging and making bad decisions trying to keep up with the others. The level of competition is what you make of it. Have a good round!

Let us know how you do!

1 Like

I had never played any competitive golf other than a 9 hole after work league, but joined a club 3 years ago and started playing. I didn’t consider myself good enough or competitive enough initially, but I really enjoy it.

I’m a bit of a pessimist when it comes to my golf game and I find I need to really focus on being positive and enjoying myself. It helps that I play regularly with a buddy who’s even worse at golf than I am, but he’s just so much more positive that he gets me going. Lately he’s been struggling on the course and I’ve had to be the cheerleader, which is so not me, but I think that’s actually helped me as well.

1 Like

IMO tournament golf is way different than regular golf, my best advice is to make them as close to possible as you can. To me it takes a few events to get to this point but once you do it is really enjoyable. I’m pretty sure that every tourney I have played in something happens that I may do only once a year.
Accept the results and move on to next shot.
Go ahead and get mad if that is you but don’t let it last longer than 10-30 seconds.
Commit. Easy to say but hard to do over every shot in 18 holes.
Prepare, speaking mentally and strategically.
But more importantly have fun and pay attention to your mind and body so that you can use those feels in the future.

2 Likes

Get out there and let the big dog eat

1 Like

I feel like a warning is needed here for competitive club golf… beware the rules guy and don’t let him derail your round… I wish this wasn’t the case, but I’ve seen people drop nit picky stuff during a round “to keep people honest”… and maybe they have good intentions, but it can get into your head…

I’ve seen people call penalties on intentionally breaking a tee on the tee box (to generate a smaller tee, not during a swing) for instance. Yes, it’s a rule… yes, the person should have known better…

Obviously do your best to follow the rules, but if you make a mistake, take the stroke, smile and keep playing… you learned both something and someone to avoid next time you play.

I’ve seen people call penalties on intentionally breaking a tee on the tee box (to generate a smaller tee, not during a swing) for instance. Yes, it’s a rule… yes, the person should have known better…

Can you elaborate on this one?

1 Like

I was going to ask the same thing, what rule applies to this?
But for @CoryO, I’d suggest that you just take a quick review of how rules apply in match play, and fourball match play in particular. I’m assuming that’s what you mean, although “two man better ball” could also mean fourball stroke play.

I actually can’t find the rule! It might have been made up… maybe it was an old rule… I was always told you can’t play a discarded tee and might have misremembered the situation (someone played a broken tee they found not someone broke a tee).

It was awhile ago, I just remember a rules violation that broke the letter but not the spirit of the law…

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I’m definitely going to be out there to enjoy my game in a different way and get more connected to the club. For tomorrow, the format is a four ball stroke play, lowest overall score of the participating teams winning.

2 Likes

Don’t freak out if you make a big score early when you are feeling the pressure! Keep grinding! At some point, it will start to feel more “normal” and you will start to play some good golf. The worst thing you can do is make a big number early in the round and then just give up. You always have something to learn!

1 Like

I’m going to say someone pulled a fast one in you.

1 Like

They didn’t penalize me! I did get into a rules argument a different time when I hit the ball on my practice swing.

1 Like

Well the first competitive round is complete and officially my worst score of the year :sweat_smile:
Shot ten over my my handicap, but that was after starting double - triple - double. On the fourth tee I told the group that it was my first time trying this and I was honestly feeling the nerves. After that, the pressure came off a bit and even though I still made a bunch of mental mistakes, I striped enough good shots to show the other guys I did know what I was doing. That included this tee shot on the par 3 16th.

Should probably add that to the Tell us about your ace or heartbreak thread.

In the end I had fun, learned a bit about my game, and am ready to come back to the club championship next month. Seems likely that I’ll get roped in on the club team next year.

6 Likes

Next time you’ll be less nervy and those big numbers at the start won’t be there. Way to hang in.

Next time on the first tee, think of this joke.

What did the man say when two houses fell on him?

• Get off me, homes.
4 Likes

It will definitely get better as you play in more tournaments. Hopefully you got to feel the adrenaline rush and will learn how to use that to your advantage (it can really help on full shots and needs to be managed on finesse shots and putting).

1 Like

I’ve been hit or miss in competitive golf throughout my life. I’m getting better slowly. A few things that have helped.

1. Lower your expectations. A buddy of mine is a +2 hdcp and went 83-80 in a big event this year. If someone that good can blow up in a tournament, you can too…so don’t set super high expectations and then be disappointed. Tournament golf is a totally different animal.
  2. stick to your normal routine pre round. I usually arrive 20 minutes before my tee time. I try not to change that much for a tournament. I like to show up, hit some putts and chips, get good and stretched and go.
  3. one shot at a time. Something good will happen and something bad will happen. You have to forget about everything that happened before and just keep focused on the shot at hand.
2 Likes

Nothing out of the ordinary there! Glad you enjoyed it and loosened up - I think you’ll get comfortable the more you do these things.

2 Likes

Thanks everybody! At the end of the day, if the pros can shoot 80+ every once and a while, I’m not going to get too upset with an 85.

2 Likes