Adjusting to a new set of irons

For sure. I’m hoping to get in for an iron fitting if time and finances allow for it. That will give me the winter to work out the kinks hopefully with the help of a launch monitor, then be ready to go when the sun peaks out again in early spring.

1 Like

Everyone is different, and I think better players, in general, take longer to adjust and trust their new irons.

When I got new irons at the end of 2016, it took me about 3 weeks to feel comfortable.

I appreciate peoples insights, I think it’s just taking a little time that I have not given yet. I did get them hoping to adjust over the winter if needed, I like to minimize swing changes over the course of the season since we do have winter here. Couple more rounds and some time at the range/net will help

2 Likes

25 years WOW! What clubs were you using and what are you swinging now?

Haha… the answer may surprise you!

I was playing Taylor made oversized irons from 1995… I bought them used with money I made in my summer job… I’ll grab a picture later. They are in pretty good shape!

At the beginning of this year, someone on GolfWRX post adams cmb irons (6-lw, heads only) for $50… these have been a dream set of irons for me since they came out… I picked them up!

Got them shafted with pulls we had lying around in the pro shop for $100… then spent $50 on new grips…

I’m cheap!

I’ve been hitting them well and would happily put them up against anything on the market… though I’m looking at the new sub70 irons (ta3s) as they look gorgeous and I can get the shaft I actually want, the s400.

My golf budget is basically spent maintaining my membership at a country club, so I tend not to spend money on clubs.

2 Likes

I bought a new set of Mavriks about a month ago and with the help of my PRGR launch monitor (thanks, Jon), I’m starting to calibrate them a little better. I do like to use the range as much as possible when breaking in a new set, but there’s nothing to compare to actually figuring them out on the course (no matter how long that takes and how much frustration is involved).

2 Likes

Well then i am not a “better player” … but I already knew that :wink::joy:

Bought a set of 0211s recently and liked them from the first hit at the range, where I took a few shots with both new and old irons side by side.

Two key things - the new irons are more GI which is what I needed; plus Loft - Length - Lie are all exactly the same, as are shaft weight and flex.

1 Like

Ha! Glad they are working out for you! They look like sweet clubs.

1 Like

I think people just respond differently to equipment… some guys will happily hit whatever you hand them and tiger famously noticed a driver weighed a gram more than the other drivers he was demoing.

I can quickly adjust to whatever I’m hitting… counter intuitively, it’s one of the reasons I rarely change equipment… I can make new stuff work, but I don’t tend to see much huge improvement.

2 Likes

I have had my irons for about 2 months now, and they are so good. It took about a month before I really got a good grasp on hitting them. The shaft weight, the smaller heads etc. I am having no trouble with them at all now. I am inside my garage almost daily, and twice a month ‘lessons’ from the coach for now but I have only good things to say.

I think the biggest thing was the feel of the shafts and the inordinate amount of feedback you get from a miss hit. I was playing a game improvement iron, the rocketbladez before and they had the blade look, jacked lofts, 85 gram shaft and I was really used to it. The T100s irons have an amazing feel and sound off the face in comparison though. After changing, I am glad that I waited until the end of the season. I needed some time with them to really hit them properly and with confidence.

Just thought I would update this since it has been a while. I should have a Skytrak by the end of February to help with bag mapping distances and for fun of course. I can’t wait to take them to the actual course in the spring either though.

4 Likes

that’s awesome, thanks for sharing and giving perspective!

1 Like

Hi Dave
Just read this topic and kind of have the same issue.
Switch from pretty forgiving mizuno jpx 921 hot metal irons to Titleist T200, shaft is 12g heavier. Really loved them during the fitting, received them like two weeks ago. Only.got to hit em like 5 times now (currantly play on a simulator indoors) and i’m really struggling. If i make good contact i’m still missing like 20-25 yards compared to my old irons.

Did it take time for you to get the tempo adjusted with the heavier shafts and did your distance come back later?
Thought i ask how it went for you before i go back to the fitter.

Thx
Timo

1 Like

Have you checked the overall total weight of each club? I suspect there would be more than 10-12 grams difference in total weight.
I disagree with some of the statement that a better golfer ( low handicap index) will take longer to get used to a new set of irons.
In contrast, an accomplished golfer could game just about any golf clubs and be adequate in commanding the use.
If there is a quite a bit of difference between the old and the new golf clubs, it’ll probably take more than a season to get used to the new, especially one does not have the habit of rotating different set of golf clubs into the bag.
Also check the swing weight of the two sets ( mostly for the feel ). I suspect the Mizuno set has a lighter swing weight in the high C, and the Titleist probably range from D-0 to D-2.
Performance comes of how you deliver the club head to the golf ball. If you’re dealing with s different weight and the feel, then it’ll take some practice to get your rhythm and timing back. Once you get the timing back, the distance will improve.
I am guessing the set of Titleist has both a stronger static and a swing weight, that’s where you lost the distance.
If you are fitted with these new clubs, the distance will come back to you if you don’t switch it back and forth between the sets.
You should have more distance if you are able to swing a heavier set. Simple physics.

2 Likes

Thanks. Makes sense to me even tho i don’t understand all the performance details.
I only play for a little over 18 month and still higher HC at 19 so prolly gonna beed some time. Thank you for the explaination. Will keep hitting them and see where it goes.

1 Like

Quick question pods!

You’re only playing this sport for 18 months huh? Let me get this str8…In 18 months…you were playing a $1000 set of Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals and looking for some magical improvement — after 18 months mind you…you went ahead and dumped $1200 into a higher end set of Titleist T200 irons and you want to go back to the fitter, because you are missing something by 25 yards, distance/accuracy or your wallet? I’m still playing my 35 year old irons and I’m not missing anything! Boy did that club fitter see you coming! Let me give you some advice to find 25 yards… try investing into yourself with PGA instructional swing and playing lessons and when you get done with that, takes some lessons, and when you get done with those…take some lessons! Sound like your coming to this game with a some pretty rose colored glasses. It ain’t the tools pods, it’s how efficiently and repetitively you move those tools into a ball. I mean you might be rich, but you cannot buy a swing, you need to find that swing outta the dirt! Listen have fun doing what you are doing, but unless you know what to do with your stix…you will not improve, you might get lucky…just remember the more you practice the luckier you will get! When I took this game up almost 40 years ago, it took me 6 months to go from a 30 cap to a 10…I also hit give or take 300-400 balls a day 6 days a week… it took me 5 more years to get down to a 2, with course management skills being taught and learned and continuing making my hands bleed before I even attempted teeing it up to gamble for dollars or even just trying to post legit scores. Just trying to keep it real and give you realistic expectations and perspective…Good Luck! :sunglasses:

1 Like

It took me about a month of practicing to get used to the new shafts. The heavier weight lead to being able to feel the club head better and just a different feel really. I’d be willing to bet you will be fine playing either iron since you are just starting out basically. The fitter should have set you with something that is pretty close to what you need. As for distance- are the lofts the same? Does the new shaft feel so heavy you aren’t loading it well? The sweet spot gets smaller as irons get smaller, are you hitting it all over the face? Center face contact will get you back a good 15-20% of your distance. Just some ideas to think about. It is an adjustment to switch clubs but losing that kind of distance means something is off. I’m willing to bet the contact is way less forgiving than you think and the heavier weight is slowing your club head speed. That combo loses distance.

2 Likes

Lots of good advice through experience here. Take them and filter out for what works for you at the moment. Some might not be making any sense right now but it will eventually down the journey.

One word for distance, Quote Ben Hogan who was regarded as the GOAT for iron play. “Accelerate through the golf ball”.

Chew on this for a few moments, the top speed of your golf swing is not at the golf ball but pass it. Just like the divot from the iron play, should be in front of the golf ball.

The heavier static weight hindered your ability to accelerate through. Not only physically but mentally you have to train yourself to accelerate the club head through the golf ball with a heavier weight. It is not just a mere 20 grams of extra weight sitting there, swinging the extra weight with 70-90 MPH meant a lot more weight felt. There is a formula to calculate the equivalent weight but I’m not digging it out of the far corners of my mind from college classes.

If you’re not physically limited from age or condition, you will get the distance back and more when you get used to the new set up. Don’t let that worry you. If you are physically fit to swing a heavier set of irons, you will love it.

1 Like

Came on this thread as I have similar issue. Like @Craigers above, I also played the same set for 25 years !

Ping Zing 2 (who remembers them ? !) - green dot.

I was custom fitted for replacement set & they said I needed white dot, which is next up steeper lie angle. Bought Ping G430 irons white dot.

I weighed old vs new 8 irons & they were surprisingly identical in total weight : 445g

Should really have gone to range first but played a round today as I couldn’t wait to use them, & was shanking/slicing most shots right, which is something I never used to do. I need to go to range & get familiar with them, but was very surprised today how, even when trying to close the clubface a little, I was still shanking/slicing a lot of the time.

Thoughts welcome.

Welcome!

Surprising the new G430 irons would be as heavy as the old Zing 2’s, but maybe the fitter found that worked best for you. Usually static weight is important, but balance can be a factor as well.

Sometimes just a different looking clubhead (more offset or whatever) can alter your takeaway and you just need to get used to the look and make your normal swing. If things still don’t feel right, a good fitter should continue to work with you to get them right.

2 Likes

Yes I was also really surprised that weight was the same - but that wasn’t by design - retailer wasn’t aware of what I had previously.

Your point about different looking is so right - at first I was clearly holding the club too open. Just need to practice.

The ironic thing is the first ball I hit with the new clubs was on our opening par 3, & I put it centre of the green with 7 iron - it all went downhill from there!

There is also likely something in the slight lie angle adjustment they’ve given me, moving from green to white dot. I likely have to adjust my stance a little to accommodate that, & I need to do that on the range.

2 Likes