A repeatable test for accuracy

I’m trying to put together a repeatable test I can use this winter with my SkyTrak to track my improvement.

I’m mainly looking to minimize the number of shots I hit that incur penalties or require recovery shots. I’m thinking yards offline is the most important stat here, but I might as well factor in yards short/long as well.

And I’m only really concerned with full-swing shots ranging from pitching wedge to 3 hybrid.

What I’m thinking is a sequence of shots that would replicate a typical round. For example:

Hole 1 (par 5)
Driver
3 hybrid
PW
Hole 2 (par 4)
Driver
8 iron
Hole 3 (par 3)
7 iron
etc…

Then I’ll use a threshold, say 10% of expected distance for the particular club, to count how many shots were too far offline or too short/long.

Any thoughts on if this is a good approach and/or how to make it better? One thing I’m unsure about is how to decide on the club sequence and which clubs (aside from driver) to emphasize most.

Thanks,
Vin

1 Like

Vin - this is a great idea and 10% is a good starting point.

This post from @Adamyounggolf should be pretty relevant for what you are looking for.

2 Likes

I’m currently trying to focus on start line and shot shape with driver. The emphasis is to eliminate the double cross.

Focusing on this because I know that my outliers which result in penalties are both related to an over the top move.

Wish I had a skytrak!

I think you have a solid basis and it’s always a good idea to switch clubs… you could always look at different famous courses and map out yardages and “play” St. Andrews to give yourself a different rotation through the set.

My personal goals for a simulator this winter, assuming we get one installed are as follows

1. Figure out what a “straight” drive feels like… 0’ degree path. Not necessarily as a goal for the course but just a touchstone for what neutral feels like. Hopefully this will lead to me working on shot shaping and getting comfortable with a draw and fade swing… I can do both already, but I want more feel.

2. Work on generating consistent club head speed with wedges… basically the clock drill but on the simulator. Figure out what swings are comfortable and repeatable and groove them in…

3. Figure out the variability in my iron distances… Adam posted a 21 swing drill, and I plan on doing it through the bag and trying to improve those numbers.

I think the biggest advantage of a simulator is it gives you consistent feedback and shows more than just where the ball went… I want to utilize that to my advantage, so I’m working on things I can’t necessarily do on the range.

I play a similar game

• 1 pt if shot goes within 6% of distance from target (e.g. within 12 yards at 200 yards)
  • nothing if shot is between 6 and 10%
  • Lose a point if the shot is outside of 10% of distance to the hole (20 yards away at 200 yards)

And yes, you can finish in negative points. It’s a tough one, and you might want to adjust the %'s to suit you.

I like the idea of changing clubs each time too, as it makes it more realistic.

4 Likes

I do something similar at times where I play a course in my mind.

Tee Shots:

• Even If I know that I would find it on the course I am playing.
  • +1 if in a hazard or a chip out +2 if I am OB
  • -0.5 if I hit it a good drive on a driveable Par 4

Approach Shots

• even if I hit a shot that I think would be on the green.
  • +0.5 if I hit a shot that would just be off the green.
  • +1 if it was a really bad approach shot or if it would have been in a hazard
  • -1 If I hit a par 5 in 2 shots.
  • -0.5 If I am around a par 5 in two.

Do you think even a scratch player would average above zero in this game? Six and ten percent seem like really difficult thresholds. Mark Broadie showed that golfers who average 80 (likely about a 5 handicap) typically have about 10% as their median leave from 100-200.