55 and older…How are you dealing with the inevitable?

Totally agree with you on this @MJTortella. I went into this off season thinking I was going to do a lot of speed work to boost my driver distance, but I have changed that plan to just do more overall fitness. Yes, picking up 15 yards with my driver would be nice, but if I’m overall stronger and fitter, I figure I’ll gain a little bit anyway, and be better off in general for life outside of golf. And swinging the super speed sticks as hard as I can didn’t seem real good for the lower back.

1 Like

Just a hint… I did change my grip to a stronger position at address… BUT speed is WIDTH, add takeaway and follow thru WIDTH! Hip Turn… Back and Thru…it’s as simple as that. That changed everything for me… I recorded myself and used masking tape and a mirror. started very slowly, I engrained each move by about a foot and half until I completed a whole swing, then I practiced that whole swing 100’s of times. Then I took that to the range, now its on the course. I don’t really swing swing any “faster” I can (that’s what I mean by having more in the tank) but doing that it is more difficult because of swing timing getting the clubface square at impact… Look it up! It will feel horrible too! we tend to break down and try to recover in a split second… Then the speed straining will help! But speed training for me is not using speed stix, it’s swing with one of my old drivers as fast as I can not worrying about where the ball is going or even impact…probably about 100 balls. Then 2 days to rest… swing nothing, just 4 mile bike ride…WIDTH

1 Like

I did the same thing last year and taking the same route this winter as well. I do sometimes incorporate an exercise that could be a bit more golf specific, but mostly I stay with simple stuff like deadlifts. I did recently add some slam ball stuff too though and that’s actually kind of fun.

I swear the Counterbalance swing speed club has helped me more than the weighted ones. It’s not that my body doesn’t have the power to generate speed, but it’s my swing that’s not accessing the power…or at least what little I have lol. Swinging the CB club seems to help me get better timing, not rush the downswing and release the club. I tend to have this OTT swing holding the face open that saps the speed…just a few of my many swing faults.

2 Likes

Look into Fit for Golf. Great value and you will accomplish both goals.

2 Likes

I warm up with the Orange Whip and I seems to help with that (not rushing the transition)

2 Likes

I find that I’m losing tons of speed and efficiency in my swing regardless of the SpeedStix training I’ve done. I’m transitioning to more of a club release/in to out (feeling) swing now as well. Still working it out, but also starting to choke down on the driver to find the center of the face more.

Deadlifts, bench, rowing machine, stationary bike for me. I’m old and fat…need to fix the latter.

2 Likes

I have the Orange whip as well and like, but it seemed to be the Speed Stick CB club that helped me more. Of course I am still struggling with powerless effort and hoping to get closer to effortless (or at least less effort) power. I find it ironic that years ago I fought hard to stop hooking the ball and now I’m fighting to find a consistent draw.

My pro recently suggested hitting balls one handed to work on releasing the club better. So far I’m not very good at that so it probably is a great practice drill for me.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m right there with ya. Getting older and heavier. I was using my elliptical a lot, but I have been trying to do more bodyweight training and weight lifting and less cardio. My elliptical is starting to wear out and I may go for a rowing machine next. Need to clean the diet up again too.

1 Like

Does that require a lot of equipment (weights, etc.)? Any bodyweight kind of stuff? I’d prefer to save my discretionary golf spending on fun stuff like clubs and trips :grinning:

Some bands, a med ball and maybe dumbbells if you wanted to. There is so much info he provides that you could craft it around your budget easily. I think the monthly is $9.99 (maybe $12 now but no higher than that).

2 Likes

Great thread; lots of great ideas. I’m moving to a new place, with an integral, much-better stocked fitness center, so I’m looking forward to trying some of this stuff out.

Plus I’m getting to the age I really need it.

1 Like

Surprisingly, walking and swimming are excellent ways to keep up the maintenance side.
if we golf twice or more per week and walk the golf course, then, that’ll take care of half the need for walking. swimming is good, especially for stamina training ( breathing ) and also taking care of the 50’s shoulders ( freestyle , butterfly).
Use it or lose it !
Oatmeal is good, but stay away from the instant variety, and the rolled oat. We like the Irish Oats ( steel cut oats). Bob’s Redmills Organic steel cut oats is our favorite. Soak over night and bring to a boil the next morning ( adding water to cover the top of the oats 1/2" ). Turn off the fire after it’s boiled and cover, let the liquid absorbed into the oats.
Done ! save energy cooking it this way and very yummy, with a little crunchy feel like nuts.
Some times adding pieces of Medjool dates for sweetness or local honey. Pieces of banana and/or berries could also be added. Filling and will last for quite awhile without feeling hungry( plant base protein ).

1 Like

Any of yous try
Titleist TPI ?
Looks to have 100s of exercises for free

3 Likes

Thank you for the new, gigantic, timesink. LOL.

Lots of great stuff at Spud’s link, everyone.

3 Likes

Well, we’re a couple months into winter, how’s everyone doing sticking to their off-season plans?
I’m down 7 pounds since Christmas and have been sticking to my workout plans pretty well. Also have been doing yoga and/or my TPI-recommended hip mobility exercises at least 3 x a week. Flexibility has noticeably improved.
Been playing a ton on the newly-acquired Skytrak. Sometimes I think maybe I should be doing more drills/range work, but playing on a sim is way more fun.

3 Likes

I was doing okay, but fell off the wagon last week on our golf trip. Not sure I ate too much, but I certainly drank too much and had too little sleep. Also we take carts every round. It was vacation, but I’m definitely getting too old for the drinking.

I don’t know if the working out and bit of speed training I did helped, but had some more distance down in Florida. Maybe just the faster fairways compared to New England, but the irons were also flying farther. I had to play my “max” distances rather than average. We have 2 big hitters in our group and I was keeping up with them more so than usual. I always do seem to get freed up when I’m away from my narrow home course so maybe just more mental than physical.

Back at this week. Better diet and regular exercise. Superbowl will be cheat/treat day, but I want to drop 10 lbs before golf season resumes.

1 Like

Sounds like your workouts are paying off!

It is nearly impossible to eat/drink healthy when you’re on vacation.
My biggest obstacle is just the weekends - I’ll watch what I eat all week and drop a pound or two, then gain it all back over the weekend with a couple restaurant meals.

3 Likes

Yoga hasn’t been mentioned enough in here … after serious back/muscle injuries late last season, I picked it up and cannot overstate the benefits!

In tandem, of course, with healthy eating (I’ve added some more protein, more regularly … gonna be 66 soon…) and regular exercise.

It’s not just cute women in sexy yoga pants :crazy_face::rofl: … if you start with a basic “flow”, aka routine, and stick with it you WILL start to see and feel the benefits! Lots of resources online, including YouTube.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree! I found even just some basic Yoga done regularly works wonders. I do some basic stuff for just a few minutes almost every day now and it’s made a huge difference for me. I dismissed it for a long time like most guys, but it works.

Also lifting weights is great for you, but learn to do things properly. Even with the Yoga, I tweaked my back a handful of times using kettlebells and doing deadlifts. Your head/eyes should NOT be looking up as many advise. I haven’t tweaked my back since making this minor adjustment (knock on wood)

2 Likes

Spot on (ha ha see what I did there) … proper form is absolutely essential, mandatory, no question!

Every time my PT or Chiro shows me a new exercise they always emphasize using the proper form.

2 Likes