1st Time Course

In the past I’ve had some both good and bad rounds with new courses. A lot of scoring is how I roll it, so getting there early enough to get a feel of the greens is important. Sometimes I have driven it aggressively and been rewarded by a great shot to tight target that I probably shouldn’t have aimed at, and occasionally screwed by a blind hazard that I couldn’t see on a perfectly decent shot.

Most importantly have fun, try not to grind too hard, and use a GPS app like 18birdies or Grint that can give you an idea of some features on the course that you may not be able to see from the tee.

1 Like

I’ve used 18 birdies for awhile now, and as much before the round as during. Still haven’t gotten a laser yet, but probably should since the refresh rate can be slow. Where would you rank 18birdies among the other GPS apps. Are there any paid apps that add noticeably better features than the free apps available?

At this point I think they’ve got one of the best (if not the best) apps. The Grint is really good too along with some others.

1 Like

Before I got my Garmin watch, I tried pretty much all of them and found 18birdies to be the best. I actually got the premium plan, but then they had so many outages and issues that I got a refund (but still have the premium features oddly). The AI coach is a neat idea, but not really that great in practice and the social aspect of it got really old really quick (too many 16 year olds claiming 350 yard drives).

I love this level of dedication!

1 Like

I much prefer GPS to laser. I’m not good enough to need to know 132 yards to the flag. Knowing that it’s 115 front, 127 middle and 139 back is good enough for me. I almost always play to the middle number, unless it’s a bad ball striking day, then I’ll play the back number.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing middle back this season, been great for scoring.

2 Likes