10 Rules most often broken can you add to the list?

Any time we deal with the general public; there will be issues of those who seem never care for anyone else but themselves.
Just look at the drivers on the public roadways, say no more.

The true issue is not the difference between a privileged golfer and a common folk. The issue lies in the education for a golfer when they first started the game.
I started the game with a bunch of senior citizens and they showed me the etiquette on the golf course. How to repair a divot/ball mark and how to rake a bunker with the proper way to exit it afterward. Nothing special, if someone is mindful of taking care of the golf course for the golfers following.
I had witness some low index golfers not doing their share of taking care of the golf course, so don’t just point the fingers on the muni golfers. Private golf courses don’t get a lot of play which is another reason why the golf courses are in better shape.
Personal opinion of mine is not to play all the golf course at its best condition. Playing those manicured golf grounds is a treat, not a daily feat as life is not always smooth as still water.
They had since changed this at a top rated local golf course because many were complaining of the course set up. The so call “waste land” which are like giant sand bunkers were left in the natural condition, with foot prints often an inch or more deep scattered all over the waste land. They changed the local rule to rake and smooth several years ago instead of no raking. It was also to speed up the pace by allowing the golfers to advance the golf ball instead the only option was pitching out sideways/backward.
Still no riding carts allowed on this golf course with rolling fairways and elevation changes. Which means not many senior would venture to play this highly rated golf course. Plus for a local public daily fee golf course, near $300 per round for golf is not every golfer’s palate. Most will golf there once or twice at the most.
Comparing to other rated golf course, this $300 green fee could be a bargain. Just not for the average local golfers.
Most of my friends are daily fee golfers. Some of them had been members of local private golf clubs years ago. They forgo the monthly due + food and beverage ; worse was the special assessment for golf course and club house/facility improvements. All of a sudden the need to expand the lunge to include men only, women only and a mixed section; spot, sauna, exercise room… most of them a golfer never set foot in.
One of my friend quit the membership of a well known private golf and country club when they assessed 38 thousands to members for capital improvement. He abandoned his membership after receiving the notice. Did not even bother to try to sell the membership since there was a waiting list. $600+ monthly dues was not making sense to him plus the special assessment. He now plays golf at local daily fee golf courses and travel to play many other rated golf courses both in and out of the State.
I won’t knock on those who were ignorant to maintain the public golf course, but encouraging the education of all new golfers for the proper way to keep our golf courses in a better condition. Especially for the young ones.
As you volunteer in the First Tee Program. The kids should be exposed to the etiquette on the golf course. a day lesson including the proper manner on the golf course and the maintenance of the golf course.
I believe in Sweden, a new golfer has to attend the class of etiquette before they are allow onto the play ground.

1 Like

There is a written test and a playing test. Great way to discourage new players.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it’ll discourage potential new golfers.
Some parts of the world will request evidence of ability to advance the golf ball before they’ll let you pay the green fee.
Traditionally, the golf etiquette was learned through the family elders, from the experienced golfers a new golfer golf with… In these days the elders will hesitate in giving advice to the new golfers. I personally witness at a local private golf group outing where a junior( 16 back then?) snapped back at some golfers trying to give him some pointers regarding golf etiquette and proper manner on the golf course.
I had been long retracted to my shell with the golden rules of, if not being asked multiple times, don’t help. That including giving golf advice or repairing golf clubs. Sometimes doing a friend a favor, could have adverse effect. They can go to the local repair shops for re-grip and repair. Maybe they’ll feel better paying $45 for shaft extraction and $2 per re-grip labor cost.
Making the new golfers learn the proper way to act on the golf course is to the benefit of all the golfers. I believe it’ll extend the newbie’s interest to become a golf enthusiast rather than a fad chaser.
Sweden has limited land for golf course, like many other countries it’ll have to make sure all of those stepping onto the golfer courses know the proper way to use the facility. Japan and Singapore are two other places I know of practicing to let the “golfers” onto the golf course.
Back in the days when we still carry a paper i.d. for GHIN index ( internet is not prevalent in the 70s). while traveling I was invited to golf at one of the private golf course by a member friend. Before allowed to pay the green fees and the rental golf clubs, the pro asked to see my handicap index. Of course I did not have it with me, so I was politely asked to go to the driving range with him to hit a few 7 irons. After demonstrated that I could advance the golf ball, then I was allowed to pay for the guest round.
It’s like in Japan and Singapore and Taiwan, getting a driver’s license is tougher than getting into the narrow doorway of higher education. But most the drivers on the roadways are better drivers than in the North America. The licensing department here had been laxing about giving out permission to drive.
No, I don’t believe it’ll discourage potential golfers if there is a required classroom and field test before they were let loose on the golf course. It’ll discourage those who might disrupt the others on the golf courses.
Recent violence on the golf course probably were caused by these undesirable characters.

1 Like

There is a difference between knowing and doing the right thing. We all have drivers licenses yet all break various laws. And it would have certainly stopped quite a few people I know from starting golfer. They had the idea is was stuck and stuffy and having to take a written exam and a playing test would certainly have been a barrier. In fact, pretty certain I would not have started playing if those rules were in place here in the UK.

1 Like

Let me explain this way.
When my kids were very young going through the grade schools ( public schools), there was no excel program for advanced education until the 7th grade. My kids had to be supplemented by extra curriculum with my wife and myself after school. We got the information where to get the additional material from one of the teachers whom told my wife that she had to go buy the additional material from this book store where supplying teachers K-12 for extra learning materials just for my kid. Of course, we took her out for a nice dinner after my kid moved on to higher grade.
The round about way to say, we’ll not handle the things and restrictions/rules the way we should; whether knowingly or not. So everyone has to go through the drill to make sure the ones needing the education will not be left behind. If they went with my kid’s learning progression, most the kids in the class will not be able to stay with the extra learning.
A mandatory etiquette learning class is not that difficult ( I believe with the basic rules of golf is about a few pages long ). This is to ensure those who needs the information will receive it before they set foot on the golf course.
Where if someone knowingly break the rule of the etiquette and exhibits annoying behavior on the golf course, it is beyond the help from education.
You talked about driving on the roadways; it is kind of parallel to behaviors on the golf course. If, you use the example of single lane on country roadways ( I’m not going into driving on the left hand-side or the right :smiley: ). some drivers have perfect eyesight good reflexes with eye-hand coordination driving a nice motor vehicle with every part functioning properly, some driver have deteriorating eyesight, or was driving an aged motor vehicle with bold tread on the tires and the break needs work. Can all of them drive with the same manner? But if you’re stuck on the roadways with one vehicle slowing down the entire traffic. Or going down the freeways can a Mini Cooper go alongside with an Auston Martin at high speed?
Not everyone is equal in that sense.
In the country like Sweden and Japan, Korea… golfers are more inclined to exhibit curtesy and etiquette than here. I once golf with some Korean ladies, and I was amazed by their manner on the golf course. They followed every little etiquette in the book. Even on the green, the one extracting the pin from the cup will roll up the flag and lay it on the fringe. we normally just drop it somewhere on the green not blocking everyone’s putting line. They were speedy getting to their golf ball and execute the shot promptly, always whisper between themselves and give a group praise when I hit a nice golf shot.
I would golf with them again without hesitation.
If anyone will forsake this game just because they wouldn’t go through a short introduction to the proper way of conducting oneself on the golf course. then those might be the same who will hit into the group ahead and not replacing divot.
we had had many incidents on the golf courses here in recent years. Golfers go into argument of slow play or intrusive loud music playing with speaker, knifing or clubbing injury resulting from these were on the News. Of course the alcohol consumption is probably flaming the incident.
I’m for the mandatory class ( short class), but I don’t see this happening anytime soon here. we do have more golf courses, and more golfers.

1 Like

So today I think I’m reading one of the stupidest, dumbest, things I’ve ever read I couldn’t link it for some reason so you all could see it. In a nutshell, here it goes. What’s the rule if a small rattlesnake has curled up in hole on a green? My rule, run! He wanted to know if you should putt out and how to record the score! Are you kidding me. Are these people dopes! 3,times in my life on a course there were just move on. One was in Florida, I hit a ball near a water hazard and I was walking over and thank God a playing partner says just drop here are you stupid? I didn’t see it, it looked like a mud pile. 7 ft gator! So yea drop no penalty. Then once we were playing a course in upstate NY and posted in the clubhouse is 15th hole closed, just take a par. Huh? Yeah, mama bear had 2 cubs and decided to suckle them within 500 ft of the hole. Okey Doke don’t tell me twice! Then on a course in PA. a large overhanging branch snapped off a pine tree and was about 4 ft off the ground by the side of the green. Attached to it was the biggest Yellowjacket nest I ever saw. Yea…. Just write 3 and move on. Anyone encounter stuff like that. Putt out with a young rattlesnake in the hole… ah NO Thanks!

2 Likes

If not in a tournament play, I’m all for the forsaken of the lost of stroke and distance rule.
Assessing a two stroke penalty instead of one plus the distance will definitely speed up the play in a jammed packed public daily fee golf course.
we used to walk back to the original spot for the lost of distance penalty, maybe 30 years ago; and the groups behind would understood with patience. Not, in today’s environment! We had made agreement of “bending” the rules like both the stroke and distance penalty within our weekly gathering to not block the golf course.
In a sanctioned tournament will be following the rules, of course.

In many lower-level competitions, Model Local Rule E-5 is used. To me this makes sense, it avoids the potential for confusion in places where E-5 is used for everyday play.

2 Likes

One of the retiree club I occasionally golf with composed of mostly seniors picking up the sports after retirement.
I never fuss with their interpretation of the rules. Their weekly optional buy-in is additional $15 for all the long drive, KP, gross and net. No trophy except for the annual meet.
If those guys want to have a gimme for inside the leather, I’ll close one eye and let it be. They are out to have fun and to see their friends and to do exercise in the nature surrounding.
It make sense for them to enjoy their time on the golf course as they had earned the right.
I would avoid their weekly meet if I don’t feel like join a 5 hour round plus the 19th afterward.
Rules are made for those time when something is at stake. For these seniors when no one really care if their index is 25 or 17. They are not going to attend any regional or National outings. A little relaxed with the rules of the game will make them a lot more happier.
I used to help them spot their errant golf shots, not so much after I had the cataract surgery a few years back.

1 Like

Here’s a place where you and I disagree. Rules are made for people who want (or are required) to play by them. I play with a group who chooses to play by the rules to the best of their abilities. We don’t play for much, but we follow the rules. I don’t care what other people choose to do in their own casual play, I do care about what people do when we’re competing against one another. Its a lot easier to follow the rules than it is to decide which rules aren’t going to apply.

3 Likes

I always do my best to play the game of golf with the rules. Just in recent years, I do not look down on those who chose to break a rule or two on occasion.
To me, playing this game by the rules is the only way to enjoy to the fullest. The victory will come sweeter if we had gone through the defeat.
I’d always played the golf ball as it lies, unless in casual water which I did not sign up for water polo. I don’t play by the winter rules, then again, it won’t matter to the others because off-season scores are not counted for the index.
I don’t fudge my handicap index, I worked hard for every score I shaved off the index. Never had the time nor the fortune to go after the elusive scratch - plus realm.
I enjoy playing this game as it is supposed to be played but I no longer have any negative thoughts on those who does not. As long as they are not in my way or step on my putting line.
Even encountering a slow moving day, I’d leave before finishing the round should I have unbreakable engagement.
I have a more relaxed view of how the others play this game. For myself, I still play it as the way I was taught.

1 Like

It isn’t a short introduction, its a both a classroom exam and a playing exam. It would have stopped me and I am an absolute fanatic for repairing pitch ,marks etc (not happy unless I do mine and one other on every green). Golf has a reputation for being stuffy and elitist, this adds to that imo. Teaching someone what to do and them actually doing it are not the same thing. If they were you’d never see anyone written up for speeding, DUI etc.

Asian culture is more respectful anyway but those ladies probably didn’t have to sit an exam to be decent people.

I agree, if you are willing to ignore some rules, why not others? At some point you have to draw a line and the most sensible place is where the official line is drawn…

Stuffy?
The game is built on these premise.
If anyone view the rules and etiquette as stuffy, then it is not a good match for them. Let’s face the fact that golf is not for everyone.
The beer and topflight might suit a certain crowd. But it’s not golf .

Again, my Saturday group… we’ve been playing together for 18 years now. It’s a fun, fairly casual round. Our Saturday rounds are shall we say played within the “Spirit of the Rules”… especially this time of year. Hitting a ball into a leaf pile, hitting a ball onto a tree root etc… Like I said one of our guys wasn’t playing with us, was playing with another group, hit a shot because, IMO, he was stupid and was playing “By the Rules”… where we would have said “drop the ball no penalty you dope, before you hurt yourself” he still would have had to play an incredibly difficult shot either way… just the shot that he played was actually dangerous… falls backwards and breaks his leg… I don’t want to hear Rub of the Green either… that’s plain stupid! So now he’s out for at least 4 months not including rehab! Now, when we play in our "Association Sanctioned events… yea we play by the letter! Simple as that!.

I don’t have an issue with anyone wanting to just have fun and ignore some of the rules. Just don’t slow the course down and make sure you keep the course in good shape. And if you do start playing in tournaments, make sure you start following the rules.

1 Like

Piling onto this, I really like the comment upthread that said something like, “If you’re playing a game with people, it’s really helpful if you all agree on what the rules are.”

Me, i might play with people on the course, but I’m not playing against them. It’s basically just a stroll with occasionally whacking at a ball with a stick. Ergo, I’m going to keep things moving, and pick up at +3 for the hole. Or pick up, drop on the green and take a putt or two.

Nobody wants to see me take 11 on a par 4, and barring a stroke play event, I don’t see a reason to do so.

To be fair, he chose to hit that shot because he wasn’t willing to take a penalty stroke, not because the rules required him to take it. I don’t know the stakes, whether the risk was worth the payoff, but there’s always relief available within the rules.

In my experience, its a whole lot easier to play by the rules in a competition if you play by the rules every time you play.
And I feel the need to say again, I don’t really care what another guy does as long as he’s not competing with me. Golf is intended to be fun, and if you enjoy it best by taking some liberties, have at it!

1 Like

Yes. Totally agree with this.

1 Like

Dave, to be fair…he was stupid, he told us he was stupid, his wife and grandkids told him he was stupid, Our pro just shook his head! When you’re just playing, no stakes! He fell backwards 40 something feet down an embankment into a creek bed! He broke his leg! He could have broken his neck. So tell me, (and I know you don’t know the circumstance except he was just playing a round with a group not us) you would do something that stupid, so we could write on you slab, here lies Dave, he fell down a very steep hill swinging a golf club like a fool, at least he died knowing he didn’t break a rule! It’s a game, for most people it’s a fun game! For what we pay today in greens fees, and I don’t see money coming my way, I just tool around. I’ve played with some pros and I will tell you, just tooling around, they’ll practice the flop, the chip and run, the spinner and stop all on the same hole from the same spot! One favor, if your ball falls on the edge of the hazard, and its not in, but your stance is balancing on the edge, break the rule…it’s not worth having your old lady have to buy a casket with that engraving on it!